Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Boys would be gone..

without the warmth from a woman's good, good heart.

Skyler is still doing well. She is eating great, which one of her nurses said we got lucky with. She's a wonderful eater. However, she has been having trouble with her temperature. They were able to wean down the temperature on her bed to its lowest setting again today, but I'm not sure if she'll do well enough to come out of her isolette yet. She will hold her body temp on that lowest setting for a bit, then she gets cold and they have to turn it back up.
Her nurse called today and said they would like to do a blood transfusion. Her hematocrit has been low recently and despite giving her extra iron & a new (very nasty looking) liquid multivitamin, it hasn't gotten better. She was very confident that this will help Skyler get out of her isolette faster. Skyler is just growing too fast for her body to keep up with and her nurse assured me it was nothing out of the ordinary for a preemie (which I knew from reading other preemie mom blogs). We are so, so close that is is frustrating. It sucks when you are at that VERY LAST item on the checklist and you just have to wait. But of course, we don't want her to come home before she is ready. Just a few more days & I think she'll have it.
Sunday is our baby shower. I'm really glad we still get to have it, since I've never really been to one & think it will be fun, even just to visit with everyone. I got Skyler's room ready for my mom's visit today, though she won't be able to use the dresser because Skyler already has SO MUCH CLOTHING that her drawers are full, hah. It should be fun to have my mom here for a while, last time we saw each other was October but on a very sad occasion. So, we are looking forward to a nice visit. She gets in on March 2nd and gets to ride with Jeremiah for a good 2hrs, unless Skyler is still at the hospital then I will probably go with. Though I am interested to see how their first meeting goes and how they will get along with each other in the car haha. I'm sure it'll be fine, neither of them are hard people to get along with.
It is looking like I'll still have at least 1.5 to 2 weeks of my original maternity leave left by the time Skyler gets home, so I won't have to take much (if any) extra time from work. It will be weird going back, I think, but I feel so lazy sitting around the house all day. I know it'd be different if Skyler was here, but after the first week I felt more or less healed up and now it is just a waiting game. It drives me crazy. Between the excitement of my mom coming and the anxiety of Skyler being released literally any day now makes it hard to sleep at night. I feel like I'm going crazy! Every day seems longer and longer.. It actually goes faster when Jeremiah goes to work because I can sit on the couch & watch t.v. and nap allll day then suddenly it is night time. Just a few more days..
Here is to hoping that this transfusion helps Skyler's little body learn to hold its temperature so she can come home. We are cheering for her & keeping our fingers crossed!!

just a few more days...

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad she is doing well! I hope she gets to go home soon!

    ReplyDelete