Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Are we allowed to say "She's getting so big!"?

I feel weird thinking to myself how big she is getting. I mean, yes, she is still QUITE TINY! Especially in her daddy's arms. But she is almost 4lbs! Considering she was 3lbs at her lowest, it is like she has gained a WHOLE lb! (About half a lb from birth weight) but she is at least 2 inches longer! (They measure on Sunday, so we will see how long she is this weekend.) That little baby has gone from tubes & beeps & chimes & itty bitty to barely being hooked up to anything, wearing clothes and getting some baby fat on her little body! Nearly three weeks old. And how she changes every day. I can't even imagine how different she will look tomorrow, considering we haven't seen her since Saturday. It looks like we might have a motor for our car so we should be able to go more often again, although Jeremiah's schedule is all mixed up now from the few overnight shifts (WHICH were terrible, might I add! I could hardly sleep without him home and so I have stayed up as late as possible, last night I was up until almost 4am. Then when he gets home and goes to sleep, I catch a nap and/or websurf/watch Netflix while he sleeps. Trust me, though. Earlier this week I slept enough for three people, and I STILL felt tired..)
As for her feeding, the nurse I spoke to yesterday didn't seem too impressed with her. She said that yes, she was taking her 2 bottles a day but she would tire out after about 10mins and then the nurse had to keep encouraging her to finish. However, we spoke to Sandy this morning (so far the only nurse I remember by name and would say I really enjoy having take care of Skyler, because I know she has done it more than once and is always VERY positive). I was told by other nurses that she was bragging about Skyler on the first day she took a bottle. How cute is that! Although she did have a night shift nurse the other day who was very nice and was changing her bedding to match her outfit, talked about how much she likes purple (which is the color of Skyler's room). I can't remember her name, though, because it was late. Anyway - off topic. Today Sandy said that Skyler is doing well, she just gets tired out. You can't blame the little girl, she's so tiny. The Dr. today changed her feeding from 2 bottles a day, 12hrs apart to Bottle-NG Feed-NG Feed-Bottle-NG-NG-Bottle, etc. which will get her to about 3 bottles a day. (NG feed being her feeding tube, for those who don't know). Also they changed her formula to one with a bit more calories, so she has less to drink down, but still gets enough calories. I think one of the things I'm most excited about tomorrow (out of the little things) is to see what she is wearing. She looks soo different in clothes, it's adorable. Of course what I'm REALLY looking forward to is our FIRST chance to feed her a bottle!! Unfortentaely her bottle times tomorrow fall weirdly, 11:30am & 8:30pm. Jeremiah wants to wait until the 8:30pm, for a few reasons. A) He gets his new cell phone tomorrow and that won't be in until at least 9, which doesn't give us enough time to get it set up & make it to Columbia. B) There's less traffic & he HATES driving in big cities, so it is easier on him. C) We discovered last time we were there that she seems more awake around this time than during the afternoon. We haven't really been out there early, ever, so I'm not sure what difference that would make. It doesn't bug me except that 8:30pm tomorrow IS SOOO FAR AWAAAAY!! I'm going to, of course, call tomorrow morning/afternoon & make SURE they don't change her feeding schedule again (because it is definitely possible). I would be so upset if we missed it. Now, Jeremiah was asking me who gets to do it.. Considering she generally takes them in about 15minutes, sharing is not a very likely possibility. (Time goes by extremely quickly when you're holding her, especially when it only happens a few times a week.) I don't want to be SELFISH, and say I want to. But every time we go, I let him hold her first. And generally longer. I think this is something I need.. I know how badly he wants to do it, but I'm the one still suffering from the dreaded preemie mom guilt (it's getting better..) & the loss of what I had pictured for 7months.. I don't think there is a correct answer here. I suppose he & I will talk about it, and honestly if I explain to him how important it is for me, I think he will feel better about it. I know it is hard for him, too, so I try to do things that help him feel better. They always say a baby is happier with a happy mom, but a happy daddy makes a big difference too, in my opinion. Today we stopped by my work & printed out some pics on the Kodak machine. I made 2 little collage things with 4 little potos for Jeremiah. They are perfect size to cut into singles & keep in his wallet. I let him pick which photos he wanted. He's definitely a proud papa! It also seems that my babyshower is still in the works (not that I had heard otherwise, I just like to check in =]. ) Feb. 28th, still. Same time & place (if you didn't get an invite I still have a few extras. And for those family members that didn't get one in the mail, specifically grandma Marnice.. it more than likely got addressed & then misplaced. I had them almost ALL finished before Skyler decided she didn't want to wait, whoops. Guess I should've got started earlier =]. ) I'm very excited for this experience. I think we'll have lots of fun. And, in my opinion, Skyler should be coming home around this time, probably a bit after (unless something comes up). NOTE: I said in my opinion. I'm no doctor. I just have a feeling it will be around that time or a bit later. Which is good, because I really want to set up anything we may get at the shower and then still have time to go get whatever we're still missing. She already has quite a bit of clothes (thanks everyone!). Her Grandma Nancy (aww first time I've really SAID that) & Grandpa Ron are sending her a nice package this week, and I SHOULDDDDD (key word SHOULD!) keep it shut until the shower, to open in front of everyone. HOWEVER I'm not quite sure I can do this! It is my Birthday/Shower/Skyler's birthday gifts and I'm just not sure I can wait!! However, by the time it gets here I'm sure the shower will be right around the corner (Way to go Alaska to Missouri postal service - slowww) so it might not be too difficult. Well, I see now how long this post is and suppose that is plenty of talking to myself for the time being. Red is laying snuggled up under my armpit, making it slightly difficult to type.. I think he has a feeling his life as the baby (only pet in the house for the last few months) is soon to be over =]. I keep telling him, but I doubt he understands. Also, happy thought waves for our kitty Talim. I haven't seen her come to eat in a few days, and yesterday I heard her meowing from what sounded like under the house but she didn't come out to eat. Then this morning Jeremiah saw some red stuff in the snow, where the car is parked & he freaked out saying " I THINK TALIM IS DEAD". I looked at this said red stuff, it does NOT look like blood to me, rather something leaking from the car or something. His theory was that the icecicles by the red stuff had stabbed her or something, and then she bled in the snow. He did note in his insane ramblings that this is the ONLY SPOT this red stuff is at, and that if she had been injured she should have left a trail. I'm pretty confident she has herself stuck under the house, or something. I'm sure she'll figure it out & come out soon, but positive thoughts her way, anyway. I'm not sure how he would handle it if his little baby Talim got hurt (& as much as I swear she is the cat form of the Devil himself, I would be upset, too.) Well, the dog has moved himself to laying across my belly, I think he wants some snuggles.
Look for new pics of Miss Skyler Michaele tomorrow night or Saturday morning!!

p.s. ignore any typos. My laptop keyboard is not as sensitive as it used to be, I have to PUNCH the keys sometimes..

No comments:

Post a Comment