Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

More updating on the past two weeks.

Well, Jeremiah is off to work for his nightshift so I thought I'd add more to my "catching up".
If you've never been into a NICU, you probably wouldn't know what to expect. I know I didn't. There are so many tiny babies, hooked up to so many machines, some making beeps and chimes. You have to wash up before going in and in our NICU, Skyler could only have 4 people (other than Jeremiah & I) on her "visiting list". We put Skyler's grandparents (Jeremiah's parents) and her Aunt Heather (Jeremiah's oldest sister) and left the 4th spot open in case my mom decides to come before Skyler leaves the hospital (since it is still up in the air when she'll come home). All three visited her on her first day in the NICU, and her grandma Theresa has visited again since. It was cute because as she was saying goodbye to Skyler you could see her opening her eyes.
She has been a fighter since the moment she was born, off the ventilator the same day. She was born on a Sunday and we were discharged on Tuesday. It was really difficult for me. The dr. came in at 6am to check on me, etc, discuss some of the discharge info (the rest to be discussed with the nurse as I was discharged). I think that was the first time it really hit me. He said we were to be discharged around noon. After he left I got up and started to pack our things. I wanted everything to be in its place and ready so that we could spend as much time with Skyler as we could before we were to leave. That was the first time I cried about it all. It became so much more real. However, what did make it easier was that Skyler was in a good mood the day we left. The day before I had got to hold her for a few minutes while the nurse moved her to the isolette, but that was all. It wasn't easy for either of us to leave, but we knew it was where she needed to be. Walking in the front door once we got home was a different story. It felt UNREAL again. The house was just the way it was when I had left on Saturday night, and it hit me again that this wasn't how it was "SUPPOSED" to be. However, I went to town straightening her drawers, putting the flowers I had gotten in her room, putting the cards we were given on her dresser. I slept terrible that night. The next day, my birthday, I called and checked on Skyler. By this day (2/3) she had dropped down to 3lbs even, was under the bili lights for jaundice and had taken 1cc of feedings! (Up to this point she had only had her nutrients from the IV). I was assured her weight loss was still normal, as much as we hated it.
On 2/4 we heard that Skyler was being obnoxious to the nurses. It turns out she was not happy with only 3ccs of feeds and so they moved her up to 6. She was MUCH happier after that. We visited her on this day and we got to hold her (Jeremiah for the first time). It was precious. We got some amazing pictures and she was making all kinds of great faces that night. She only had her feeding tube & IV left, we were so happy for her!
On 2/5 she was moved up to 9ccs every 3hrs. I think, if I remember, she was back under the bili lights that day, but that was the last of them! (For now).
On 2/6, Skyler had moved through 9 & 12ccs very well and was on to 15! This was the day her grandma Theresa took me to visit and I got to spend an entire hour holding her while she napped. It was very fulfilling, I really needed it. This was also the first day she wore clothes - too cute!
On 2/8 Skyler was up to 28ccs! She also had finally gained some weight and was back up to 3lbs 3.4oz, and her bed had been turned down 3 times (she was starting to hold her temperature!). I believe the night before was when she was moved to the Lvl 2 Nursery.
On 2/10 She was up to 3lbs 4.2oz. We went to visit and they took out her IV that day - which I'm sure she was thankful for. Her feeding tube was moved to her nose, which she didn't seem to mind as much as the one in her mouth. By now, she was taking 28ccs. We also got a copy of her footprints that day =).
2/11 We found out Skyler had taken her FIRST bottle! She took a little over half of it before getting sleepy. We were soo proud. What a great first try!
On 2/13 We went to visit and got to hold Skyler as she had her 8:30pm feeding. She was being soo adorable, opening her eyes as much as she could. However about halfway through her dinner, she conked out in our arms. This day she had taken her WHOLE bottle! It took her about 30min, but we were so proud yet again.
On 2/14 Skyler took two bottles, her first one in 15minutes!
On 2/15 she was 3lbs 9.2oz (hurrraaay) and took TWO bottles. She had also grown to 16inches long. We are so happy that she is pressing forward.
I think this about gets us caught up, as far as how she is doing medical wise. We take pictures every trip we make. On my birthday, Heather dropped by and gave us a little calendar photo with Skyler's picture on it with a frame. We hung it on the wall. A lot of Skyler's family members have been sending her gifts, since even BEFORE she was born, but alot after as well. I'd like to take this moment to say THANK YOU to all of our family members who have sent us cards, gifts, etc. We appreciate it all. And though I'd like to stop opening them all and bring them to the shower to open (so everyone can see!) I just can't stop myself! I get so excited, open it, show each & every little thing to Jeremiah and then put it away in her room for her. It is so much fun! So again, thank you to each & every one of you. Your thoughts & prayers are also appreciated in every way possible. & With that note, I will end the posts for today. Thank you all for reading.

3 comments:

  1. Your ability as a writer come out in this very special blog. Thanks for all the info and the update. I look forward to this special site. Lots of love to all three of you. xxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to keep everyone posted on the progress. Keep up the good work and we are looking forward to the "Skyler is coming home" post and hope it is soon. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely relate to not wanting to interact with people... I felt the same exact way while Liam was in the hospital. I had to force myself to act normal around people.. and it was hard. Now that I am home with Liam all the time, I have the opposite problem. I find myself missing adult interaction. It is such a delicate balance.

    Thank you for all your kind words on my blog- I am looking forward to following Skyler's journey as well!

    ReplyDelete